A new year is upon us and instead of dwelling on the past any longer, lets look forward to the next year. Sure we have fiscal economic problems ahead, an entire sports league on strike, and what looks to be a year full of most of the same trends we saw last year. But what about Disney? In 2012, Disney Parks had a big year with the opening of 3 different lands across the U.S. Disney films were hit and miss, but they had some instant classics when they were hits. Disney also released one of the biggest news stories of the year in terms of the entertainment business when they bought LucasFilm. So what lies ahead for a company that seems to be on a roll in most aspects they touch? Here are my top 5 predictions for Disney in 2013.
5. Disney Channel Has a Breakout Show. Well, they do have Pheneas and Ferb which is a breakout show and one of the only reasons to watch anything on Disney Channel these days in my opinion. in late 2012, they did announce an upcoming show called Girl Meets World, bringing back some of the past stars of Boy Meets World. With Boy Meets World being somewhat of a childhood favorite of the previous generation and a new generation to look forward to a new show, this might actually be the family hit they are looking for. As an adult, I’m excited to see all of my favorite characters back again, and children will be pleased to laugh along with the jokes and relate to the new stars of the show. I predict Girl Meets World is going to be a winner for the whole family….plus I just loving getting to mention Topanga any chance I get.
4. The Lone Ranger Doesn’t Meet Expectations. Don’t ask why, but I have a gut feeling that one of Disney’s top films of the year is going to miss it’s mark at the box office. Several films are up for debate, with my two top contenders being The Lone Ranger and Oz: The Great and Powerful. Unfortunately for Johnny Depp and company, I had to go with the film I think the average movie goer isn’t as excited for. It’s no secret that Johnny Depp hit strides with Captain Jack Sparrow but has failed in most of his other recent film roles. (Nobody wants to see a Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp anymore right?) The Lone Ranger will become this year’s John Carter.
3. Frozen is the Top Animated Film of the Year. The last two years, Disney has come into their own again with Tangled and Wreck It Ralph, outshining the efforts of Pixar. With Pixar doing another sequel film, I only see an outshining film again with Disney’s retelling of the Snow Queen. Don’t know the story? Hans Christian Anderson was the original writer of the story. He is also famous for his tale The Little Mermaid. Expect a great story, tons of girls looking for princess outfits, and a lot of hype around this film in 2013.
2. The Plans for Avatarland Will Disappoint. Rumors have circulated for a while about Avatar and what could be coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. I highly expect an announcement at this year’s D23 Expo in August. Despite the backlash the future land has gotten, crowds will pile in for the announcement and will hope for something grand, but the project will seem jumbled and not make much sense. I highly expect other announcements at D23 to get a much bigger reaction than this.
1. Disney Announces New Tomorrowland at Disneyland. Rumored to be undergoing some plasic surgery for a while, Tomorrowland will close later this year and will recieve several new attractions. The annoucement will be made at the D23 Expo and will trump over everything else at the show. Captain EO, Innoventions, and maybe Autopia will all kick the bucket. In their place will be a new attraction themed to Tron or The Avengers or maybe two attractions themed to one of each. Along with the new attraction, the return of the Wedway People Mover comes to New Tomorrowland and Disney nerds across the world go nuts.
What are your thoughts on Disney in 2013? What will fail? What will be the top story this year? Will it be another big year for Bob Iger and company? Leave your thoughts and comments below.